Monday, December 13, 2010

15th PANZER DIVISION


Panzer III Ausf.J of the Panzer-Regiment 8 of the 15th Panzerdivision

OPERATIONAL HISTORY



Formed on 1 Nov 1940 (from 33rd Infanterie Division).

  • 1941 Apr: arrived in North Africa as part of Deutsches Afrika Korps
  • 1941 - Libya: Tobruk (heavy losses)
  • 1942 - Egypt: Benghazi, Gazala Line, Bir Hacheim, Tobruk
  • 1942 - Egypt : El Alamein (heavy losses), Alam Halfa (heavy losses)
  • 1943 - Tunisia: Medenine, Wadi Zigaou, El Hauma (heavy losses)


Destroyed in Tunisia on 9 May 1943
Note:
  • Re-formed as 15th Panzer Grenadier Division in Sicily in July 1943.


Orders of Battle
15th Panzer Division
1941 Libya (North Africa)

  • Panzer Regiment 8
  • Panzer Abteilung I
  • Panzer Abteilung II
  • Schützen-Briade 15
  • Schützen-Regiment 104
  • Schützen-Regiment 105
  • Schuetzen Abteilung I
  • Schuetzen Abteilung II
  • Schuetzen Regiment 115
  • Schuetzen Abteilung I
  • Schuetzen Abteilung II
  • Kradschützen-Bataillon 15
  • Artillerie Regiment 33
  • Artillerie Abteilung I
  • Artillerie Abteilung II
  • Artillerie Abteilung III
  • Aufklaerungs Abteilung 33
  • Panzerjaeger Abteilung 33
  • Pionier Bataillon 33
  • Nachrichten Abteilung 78
  • Versorgungstruppen
Note:
  • 1941 Aug - Supplied Schuetzen Regiment 104 to 21st Panzer Division.

    15th Panzer Division
    1943 Tunisia (North Africa)

    • Panzer Regiment 8
    • Panzer Abteilung I
    • Panzer Abteilung II
    • Panzer Grenadier Regiment 155
    • Panzer Grenadier Bataillon I
    • Panzer Grenadier Bataillon II
    • Panzer Grenadier Bataillon II
    • Panzer Artillerie Regiment 33
    • Panzer Artillerie Abteilung I
    • Panzer Artillerie Abteilung II
    • Panzer Aufklaerungs Abteilung 14
    • Heeres Flak Artillerie Abteilung 276
    • Panzerjaeger Abteilung 4
    • Panzer Pionier Bataillon 13
    • Panzer Nachrichten Abteilung 78
    • Panzer Versorgungstruppen




    Picture thanks to Marino Sommaggio - WEBSITE: BUNKER AFRIKANO

    5 comments:

    1. Your site is a great resource. I am having difficulty though confirming your OB for 15. Panzerdivision in 1943. What are your sources for the divisional support units.

      Thanks,

      John

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hello, thanks.
      M sources are from many books and contributers. I cant remember where I get this in particular because this info have more than 10 years. Before a blog this was a full website, and I have lost many contacts that I have collectad in years. Sorry, but as far I why know this info about the 15º Panzer Division is correct.

      Cheers
      Paulo

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks Paulo, I checked a couple of the units:Panzer Aufklaerungs Abteilung 14,Panzerjaeger Abteilung 4 and Panzer Pionier Bataillon 13 were all with the 14. Panzerdivision in 1943. I suspect you might have a transcription error as I do not believe that any units of the 14. fought in North Africa, but were in fact on the eastern front. I am still trying to track down the FLAK battalion.

      John

      ReplyDelete
    4. No problem, I will try to find extra info about it too. Keep in touch.

      Paulo

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Paulo , Excellent site very useful .I'm currently working on a 1:6 DAK Kubelwagen which I have converted to a 1941 version . I'm looking for vehicle markings for this originally 90th light inf div. but cant find much on them or the 15th pz div . My figure is as 1941 infantry but can change the insignia.

      Thanks Andy

      ReplyDelete